anthills and profuse growth of shrub Spirea media (Rosaceae)

Karsten Meyer KMEYER at
Sat Feb 8 10:32:24 EST 1997

I guess it¹s the soil fertilization by the ants. If the soil is a podzol,
it shall nutrient-poor, so some extra nutrients may have a big effect. As
for the Spiraea, the seeds are collected by the ants for the nutrient-rich
elaiosome that is attached to the seeds.

Hope that helps,

robert.liebermann at (robert liebermann) wrote:
> [snip]
> I frequently found that growth of vegetation was quite lush
> near the anthills, especially of the shrub Spirea media (Rosceae).
> [snip]

Karsten Meyer
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Mainz
55099 Mainz - Germany
Tel: +49 6131-39 25 91, Fax: +49 6131- 39 35 24