anthills and profuse growth of shrub Spirea media (Rosaceae)

Karsten Meyer KMEYER at mzdmza.zdv.uni-mainz.de
Sat Feb 8 10:32:24 EST 1997

Hello,

I guess it¹s the soil fertilization by the ants. If the soil is a podzol,
it shall nutrient-poor, so some extra nutrients may have a big effect. As
for the Spiraea, the seeds are collected by the ants for the nutrient-rich
elaiosome that is attached to the seeds.

Hope that helps,
Karsten

--
Karsten Meyer
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Mainz