catalase (catalyse)

Mary Ann Cushman cushmam at okstate.edu
Mon Feb 10 10:13:00 EST 1997

Charlotte Anglim <anglim at zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>I am not sure if this is the correct newsgroup to start this
>discussion in, but here it goes. I am currently an A-level student in England.
>
>I study biology at school and I had some serious coursework to do(it
>was a practical investigation).
>
>Anyway, it was about the enzyme catalyse. It is found in living
>organisims as it breaks down hydrogen peroxide which is a product of
>metabolism. (Hydrogen peroxide is a toxic chemical). Catalyse breaks
>it down to water and oxygen.
>
>My problem is this. My experiment did not work properly (because we
>only had a small amount of time). I had a bean sprout and I had to
>find out which section contained the most catalyse and give ratios
>for the parts of the plant that contained catalyse (the 4 sections
>are: radicle, hypocotyl, cotyledon, pumule).
>
>If anyone could solve my problem, could you please reply to the
>newsgroup or send me a direct E Mail
>
>Thank you.

Hi Charlotte-
Oops, its spelled catalase here in the U.S., don't know if you guys spell it differently.
Where would you expect a major amount of the metabolic activity in a germinating
seed to be going on? That's a hint. Another hint is that catalase tends to be around
where a lot of peroxisomes are....do you get it? I don't want to just tell you, because
I'm sure you can figure it out. A lot of this research is actually done on castor beans,
too. Give it a try, and if you still can't figure it out, let me know. The thing is the
ratios will still have to be experimentally determined.
Bon chance,
Mer