Do plants "sleep"?

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. raiar at inlink.com
Mon Feb 10 21:17:57 EST 1997

"Rejean Hall, ing." <hallr at umoncton.ca> wrote:

>Hi everyone:

>My grade 5 daughter Micheline took up a class project to
>answer that question. Any info, ref. or URL?

>Thanks

>R. Hall
In a sense, all plants sleep, when the lights go out.

Some species of Calathea, Ctenanthe and especially Maranta, fold their
leaves or roll their leaves up at night.

Mimosa pudica folds at night and in the daytime, when temperature is
above 65 degrees, touching the leaves causes them to close immediately
and the stems dip downward.

Try a web-search on Maranta or "Prayer Plant" and see what pop's up.

TTUL
Gary