Fungicides and Mycorrhizae

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 04:13:46 EST 1997

> ==========
> bionet/plants #3517, from doreen at mastnet.net, 905 chars, Sat  01 Feb
1997 19:08:53 -0
> ----------
> Article: 12103 of bionet.plants
> From: Doreen Howard <doreen at mastnet.net>
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Fungicides and Mycorrhizae
> Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 19:08:53 -0800
>
> If one sprays their veggies with fungicides to prevent early
> blight or a host of other fungal diseases prevelant in the hot,
> humid south, will the fungicide destroy mycorrhizae in the soil under
> the plant and surrounding it????  Opinions PLEASE
> Doreen Howard
> doreen at mastnet.net
Hello Doreen,
Depends on the fungicide. There is some nice work going on in Denmark
right now to sort out which fungicides are mycorrhizal friendly and
which are not. Benlate is certainly not but I will have to look up the
"better" ones.
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading.UK.