"Potassium salts of Fatty Acids" as herbicides???

Gerald Y. Kinro -- State of Hawaii kinrog at elele.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
Mon Feb 17 20:07:53 EST 1997

Frank Kolwicz (bb389 at lafn.org) wrote:

: I picked up a "safer" herbicide the other day composed, so the label
: says, of "potassium salts of fatty acids". The label has no warnings
: about food plants and says it works on anything, +\-.

: I'm looking for a better alternative to Roundup for crabgrass, nut grass,
: quack grass and other jointed grasses that are overrunning my southern
: California lawn and garden.
:
: Any information will be appreciated, especially efficacy, toxicity, and
: soil longevity.

: Frank
: --
: Frank Kolwicz
: F.H.P.Kolwicz Photography, 271 Mesa Ave.
: Newbury Park,  CA  91320, (805)499-2237
: f/64ART

The product you mentioned is also used as an insecticide.  If it does,
work as a herbicide, it will do so as a contact.  Many of the weeds you
mentioned are perennials, and will require a systemic herbicide for even
partial control.