Insects killing in Ficus tree

dwr at nornet.on.ca dwr at nornet.on.ca
Tue Feb 18 04:58:53 EST 1997

>We have a ficus tree (I *think* it's a ficus tree - its leaves are about 1¼
>wide by 3" long) in the house, it's about 6'6" high and we've had it for about
>a year.

>Some branches are dying off and along those branches there's little (1/16 -
>1/8 inch) hemispherical brown things stuck to the branches.  I can't see any
>insects on the tree but I assume that it's being killed by an infestation.

>Does anyone know what it is and what I should do?

>Any advice gratefully received.

>Tony Brower      	        	tonyb at interport.net
>"I prefer the hands-on touch you only get with hired goons."
>- Monty Burns  (The Simpsons)

Sounds like you have scale.  I don't know how bad your infestation is,
(and it's common on indoor grown ficus),  but I wipe mine off with a
cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol. In addition, I add a systemic
insecticide to the soil as scale is a sucking insect.

Gook Luck

DAve  (Think small, grow a bonsai)

Zone 6B, Southern Ontario, Canada