"Potassium salts of Fatty Acids" as herbicides???

John Bohmfalk bohmfalk at tcgcs.com
Wed Feb 19 20:52:37 EST 1997

In article <1997Feb8.175103.1432 at lafn.org>, bb389 at lafn.org (Frank Kolwicz)
wrote:

> I picked up a "safer" herbicide the other day composed, so the label
> says, of "potassium salts of fatty acids". The label has no warnings
> about food plants and says it works on anything, +\-.
>
> I'm looking for a better alternative to Roundup for crabgrass, nut grass,
> quack grass and other jointed grasses that are overrunning my southern
> California lawn and garden.
>
> Any information will be appreciated, especially efficacy, toxicity, and
> soil longevity.
>
> Frank
> --
> Frank Kolwicz
> F.H.P.Kolwicz Photography, 271 Mesa Ave.
> Newbury Park,  CA  91320, (805)499-2237
> f/64ART

I know this was posted some time ago, but I'll respond anyway.  What you
have is just a soap. Unless there are other ingredients, it sounds like a
solution of ivory soap.  I can't comment on efficacy, but it shouldn't be
toxic.  I'd guess that soil bacteria would metabolize it fairly quickly,
too.

John