PHOTOSYNTHSIS QUESTION

Maki Monje maki at cc.usu.edu
Thu Feb 20 18:22:48 EST 1997

tatsu <tatsu at voyager.umeres.maine.edu> wrote:
>I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME ABOUT THE ' THREE
>PHOTOSYNTHSIS PATHWAYS ' THEY FIRST TWO ARE OBVOIUSLY THE C3 AND C4
>CYCLES, BUT I CAN'T DECIDE IF 'PHOTORESPERATION' COULD BE INCLUDED
>WHAT DOES THE GROUP THINK??
 The third is called the CAM pathway (Crassulean Acid Metabolism).....its just like C4 , except that the
CO2 uptake occurs at night (stored as malate), and CO2 fixation still occurs in the day (malate is converted to CO2,
but the stomata remain closed).....its useful for conserving water ie desert succulents.....