mycorrhizae tolerance to fertilizer

brateaver at aol.com brateaver at aol.com
Thu Jan 2 06:17:10 EST 1997

I am curious to know what he means by real proof? I am only too familiar,
from some 50 years' experience, how university research papers detail
their "proof" in "peer-reviewed" reports in the scientific literature.  Is
that what he has in mind?

I can remember, when I was on radio in Sacramento, for example, that
UCDavis responded with "real proof" by telling the world how these
particular profs proved that organic was no good.
    They picked a typical univ research plot, that had been loaded since
WW2 time, with nearly every poison and chemical "fertilizer" known.  (All
free, you see, for "experimental data".
   On that vile dirt they dumped some manure before planting. That was
their proof of organic growing. They compared the poor plants doomed to
grow there, with the plants on the no-manure spot.  Of course the
"organic" manured plot plants were a mess. Think what all their poor roots
had to cope with !!!!!!!!!

So they showed how "that woman's" idea of superior organic method was all
wrong.

Yeah, real proof. After all, it was done by tenured university profs, all
of whom had many  Peer-Reviewed literature as foundation for their
reputations.

I know how sincere Mr. Chapman is, but I deplore the fact that he will
follow the same old pattern of giving experimental substance to the Sodom
of university people. They can use their sacred, not-to-be-challenged PEER
REVIEWED status to try to ridicule out of existence whatever the organic
movement can do.
    (Not that I am "accusing" him of being part of the movement, as I am,
but that he provides the movement with a long-sought, formerly unavailable
material so useful in the movement.)

Maybe I am wrong, and he has already carefully picked the right people to
do the experiments. No doubt my 60 years of experience with academia has
"soured" my attitude, huh.

But Mr. Chapman is so right on the point of a new era on the horizon. And
his advice to Mr. Eric Grunden is good--dump the old stuff and make a big
splash as one of the new generation of real fact finding.  It is an
opportunity for him, as still just a grad student.

Yes, the more I think about it, I think his advice to the young man is
good, if the young man has the guts. It would not be an easy way,  but
valuable. It's the younger ones at some universities that are gradually
making some changes. Most of the old graybeard diehards, who feel some
loyalty to the chemical industry that has paid for their lifelong data
collecting, are still trying to badmouth the fact that organic method is
the only correct one.

I certainly will never regret smashing up against the entrenched phalanxes
when I started the organic movement in California and challenged the whole
world educational system by installing my organic method course in spite
of all the vicious hostility I encountered.
   When I note that organic courses are now taught in nearly every school,
I figure it wa well worth it.
  So if the young man will take Mr. Chapman's suggestion and run with it,
good!!!

B. Rateaver