source for silver thiosulfate

Eric Visser ericv at sci.kun.nl
Thu Jan 2 04:16:03 EST 1997

In article <5a7nqh$7p0 at mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, hojoon at pasture.ecn.purdue.edu (Hojoon Choi) says:

>Hi netters?
>I would like to try an ethylene antagonist to plant tissue culture.
>I guess silver thiosulfate is one of the popular reagent, but
>I couldn't find the source to purchase.
>I would appreciate if you let me know the source for STS.
>Thanks in advance.
>hojoon at ecn.purdue.edu

There is no commercial source as far as I know. You can prepare it
yourself by adding silver nitrate to a sodium thiosulphate solution.
Use demineralized water to prevent precipitation of AgCl. The ratio
Ag to thiosulphate has to be 1:8, see references below. However, in
our system (ethylene-induced adventitious rooting) silver did not work
well (damage to plant tissues). 1-aminoisobutyric acid (AIB) and amino-
ethoxyvinylglycine (AVG), which inhibit ACC conversion into ethylene,
were much more specific in inhibiting ethylene reponses.