Help needed re food plants

Julian Barker julian at rodent.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 12:02:57 EST 1997

I have been doing research on the habitat of the Mongolian Gerbil. I
have discovered that the main food plant of these animals is Artemisia
sieversiana. They are known to also eat Salsola collina, Setaria viridis
and Leymus chinensis.

Other than knowing that the last named is a grass I know nothing about
these plants. I would be grateful for any information anyone has about
these genera or species.

As I am not a botanist it would be helpful if I could be pointed towards
related/similar plants that I might be expected to have come across in
NW Europe.

Thanks.

--
                             Julian Barker

                There is a coherent plan in the universe,
                though I don't know what it is a plan for.
                                             - Fred Hoyle