Help needed re food plants

Peter Selby pete.selby at zetnet.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 16:25:01 EST 1997

In message <5mGgrSAB79zyEwdG at rodent.demon.co.uk>
        Julian Barker <julian at rodent.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I have been doing research on the habitat of the Mongolian Gerbil. I
> have discovered that the main food plant of these animals is Artemisia
> sieversiana. They are known to also eat Salsola collina, Setaria viridis
> and Leymus chinensis.

Do the gerbils live by the seaside?

Artemesia vulgaris is the commonest plant to find in UK - better
known as Mugwort.
Salsola kali, prickly glasswort is an inhabitant of salt marshes in UK.
Setaria is a genus of grass, sometimes found as as an escape in UK,
but more commonly sold as  Millet Sprays for Budgerigars.
Leymus is as you say a grass.  We have Leymus arenarius which is Lyme
grass and grows in sand dunes.

Hope this helps.

--
 Pete Selby