How do "puffballs" grow through pavement.

Matt Follwell 6mf2 at qlink.queensu.ca
Fri Jan 10 15:19:44 EST 1997

I am a student at Queen's university and have recently been sent a
photograph which shows a puffball fungus which has grown through and has
split a 3/4 inch thick slab of pavement (asphalt).

My question is how this has occurred?  The puffball is approximately 1"
in diameter and is easily broken apart with bare hands (little effort).
The asphalt however is very hard and would require a pick axe to pierce
its surface.  So again I ask, how is this possible.

A response to the question or even a direction in which to look would be
greatly apprecieted.

			Yours in science, Matt