Rose Pruning...of old roses

lupine at pacbell.net lupine at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 12 21:15:48 EST 1997

I love to prune roses, and I can prune them to where they look really
good.  I ran into a problem that I could use some help on.  I have seen
many roses in my neighborhood that are very old.  The roses are also
neglected, and have been pruned by people who know nothing about the art
of pruning.  I was wondering how someone would approach pruning a rose
that has two very thick, old canes.  The form of the rose bush is in the
shape of a Y, with all of the new grow stemming from the tops of each of
the old canes.  What kind of advice would you have for fixing the form of
this rose bush, and giving the plant a chance to thrive and produce new
canes?
Jen B.