Acacia dealbata - from cutting?

Cactus triobus at dircon.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 11:34:12 EST 1997

I live in the Uk, on the outskirts of South London, and have been creating
an been trying to create an "exotic" effect for our climate. One plant I'm
keen to incorporate is an Acacia Dealbata. I grew one from seed which was
slow to start and so was given away to a friend when I found a thriving
nursery grown specimen to replace it.

Sadly, the nursery specimen is devastated, though not killed, each winter,
and suffers severe die back. However, the given away plant has come through
the last two winters with impunity and is starting to look beautiful.
Clearly, it much more cold tolerance. I am going to try some cuttings from
this plant to bring back into my garden, but the literature I have seen
suggests that most acacias are not ready to strike from cutting.

Does anyone have particular knowledge of acacias from cutting and any hints
(over and above the obvious) which could help my cuttings to take. Maybe
someone down under can put me right!

Many thanks

Chris Miller