World's only Golden Spruce has been felled, Please forward!

Michael mny at island.net
Sat Jan 25 14:37:27 EST 1997

There is only one spruce tree that is clearly known to exhibit a Golden
pigmentation instead of the typical green foliage. This tree approximately
1.5 meters in diameter was felled on January 22, 1997. The reasons for
this act of violence appears to be linked to passions regarding the
general state of the disappearing old growth temperate rain forets in
Haida Gwaii, the Queen Charlotte Islands which lie off the west coast of
Canada immediately south of Alaska.

The Golden Spruce was located in a thin belt of Old Growth forest in an
area claimed by MacMillan Bloedel under their provincial tree farm
license. The Yakoun river passes immediately beside the plant. This area
is approximately two meters above sea level.

Temperatures are hovering just below freezing.

In the past numerous attempts have been made to generate new growth from
clippings. No successes have been reported.

We, members of the Haida Nation are seeking to connect with any persons
who may have advice or assistance to offer in a last attempt to generate
growth from this unique plant. As of this date please either email me and
I shall forward you thought on to a technical review team once we have
established those persons.