Acacia dealbata - from cutting?

Alex J. Saar lawley at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 26 19:52:23 EST 1997

"Cactus" <triobus at dircon.co.uk> wrote:

>Does anyone have particular knowledge of acacias from cutting and any hints
>(over and above the obvious) which could help my cuttings to take. Maybe
>someone down under can put me right!

Hi Chris

Acacias (including Acacia dealbata) all grow readily from seed, and the
plants produce thousands and thousands of seeds.

The seed needs heat treatment or scarifying.

For heat treatment, pour boiling water into a mug. Then add the seeds and
leave them in the (now off-the-boil) water for 5-30 minutes. Place them on
very damp paper towel in a plastic container. The next day or two, plant
those which have swollen in size (you can't miss it). Repeat the heat
treatment for the seeds which didn't swell.

Good growing
Cheers
Alex