Help! can my Bromeliad survive?

Alex J. Saar lawley at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 26 19:41:43 EST 1997

In article <19970124170401.MAA01197 at ladder01.news.aol.com>, terann1 at aol.com
(TerAnn1) wrote:

>I received a Bromeliad as a gift from a very dear friend and would love
>for it to last forever.  What do I do, i am not known for my green thumb!

Hi TerAnn

More information is required before any culture information can be given.

Bromeliads range from highly succulent, desert and rock-loving species, to
terrestrial soil-growing species, to epiphytes growing on trees for support
to obligate epiphytes (which will only grow on trees or similar) as long as
there is nothing that resembles soil.

As for it lasting forever, there's good news and there's bad news. First,
the bad news: the plant will die after flowering--it may take 12-18 months
to die. Now, the good news: most bromeliads reproduce vegetatively by
clumping--small plants ("pups") are produced from near the base of the
older plant. Often, this will start before the plant flowers. So, although
you will not keep the original plant forever, you will most likely keep
pieces of the plant forever.

As for their culture, I always think of broms as plants for people with
purple thumbs.

What have you got? Is it a tillandsia, neoregelia, billbergia, aechmea,
dyckia, vriesea, ... (44 genera, over 2000 species, numerous hybrids and
cultivars). Give us a clue.

Cheers
Alex