salinity and plant growth

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Jan 30 11:19:58 EST 1997

In article <32EF1EE0.470C at erols.com>, Thomas Stanley <lingam at erols.com> wrote:
>I'm doing a science project that will look at how legume seedlings
>respond given dilute solutions of various salts. In addition to NaCl,
>what other commonly accessible salts are available?

Sodium bicarbonate - NaHCO3 - baking soda
Magnesium sulfate - MgSO4 - epsom salts
Calcium sulfate - CaSO4 - gypsum
Potassium chloride - KCl - sold in supermarkets as a salt substitute
Calcium chloride - CaCl2 - some ice-melting salts
Sodium hydroxide - NaOH - lye

In garden centers you will probably be able to find salts containing
ions like ammonium, nitrate, phosphate, etc.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada