grapefruit-tree question

Jim Kami jakami at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 22 12:34:54 EST 1997

Ross Koning wrote:

> At 5:31 PM -0400 7/21/97, Joel Vanden Berg wrote:
> >       I started a grapefruit tree from a seed two years ago.  It stands about
> >a foot and a half, but now it seems to be having problems.  Even though it
> >is kept watered the leaves keep curling.  If  you know anything about
> >these trees (and or citrus trees) could you please give me a call.   I
> >don't know what to feed it, what window it should be located in, etc.  If
> >you have any answers, could you please e-mail me directly at
> >
> >       tamvb at hotmail.com
> >

> >                                       Thanks,
> >                               Tammy Vanden Berg

I don't know if this story is of any help but when I was 5 I planted a
grapefruit seed while living in New York. Every winter this little tree
would lose every leaf it had and look dead, every spring it came back.
It never grew more than two feet high dispite a large container for the
roots (never fertilized, regular potting soil, OK light). When I was 10
my folks moved to Florida and we planted this pathetic thing out in the
back yard. Today it is over 30 years old, at least 3 stories high and
produces around 20 bushels of the sweetest, seedless grapfruit you have
ever tasted. I'm convinced these are the toughest survivors around (my
personal opinion). I don't know much about citrus but this tree out
performed and out survived many other "commercial" grapefruit trees in
the area.  Good Luck

Jim Kami
Blue Rose Biotech
1123 Drexel Dr.