Can someone identify this graft?

John A Norton JohnANorton at msn.com
Tue Jul 29 18:16:42 EST 1997

As a British botanist, it looks to me like Ulmus glabra - Wych Elm, a
fairly common native species here. The roughness of the upperside of the
leaf is a useful ID feature. According to the books, this species is
occasionally planted in eastern North America. It is also possible that it
is a hybrid or cultivated variety. My book also mentions that grafting is
used as a method of propagation for elms.

John Norton
Hampshire UK

Peter and Evelyn Ruut <puddies at ny.frontiercomm.net> wrote in article
<33CC15D6.99B870D1 at ny.frontiercomm.net>...