Zamiaculcus zamiafolia

Jeff Shimonski tropica1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 5 18:11:44 EST 1997

In article <xjimsmith1-0406971723120001 at pool064-max13.so-ca-us.dialup.earthlink.net>,
	xjimsmith1 at earthlink.net (Jim Smith) wrote:

>I bought a "Zamiaculcus zamiafolia" at a greenhouse nursery the other day
>and was wondering exactly what it was?

>   New African exotic from the Congo. Keep moist but not wet.
>   Avoid full sun. Keep from frost. Moderate fertilizing
>
>I live in Southern California (Zone 9, or Sunset Western Garden Zone 21)
>and was wondering:
>
>A) How big will this plant eventually get?
>B) What does the flower look like?
>C) Can it live outside in a protected location?
>D) Did I waste $2.99 on a short stick with four leaves that will need a
>hot house and constant pampering just to survive?
>
>Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Jim,
Zamiaculcus zamiafolia is a member of the aroid family. It is most likely named
after its resemblence to Zamia sp. in the cycad family. These plants seem to reach
three or four feet at maturity. The flower is a typical aroid flower and somewhat
nondiscript. In south Florida frost will kill it back but they always seem to revive
after being damaged. They are an interesting addition to any garden and here they
have very few insect problems.
Hope this helps, Jeff

http://www.tropicaldesigns.com