I have a problem with my hybiscus (Rosa Sinenis)

Sean A. O'Hara saouc at uccmvsa.ucop.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:47:57 EST 1997

In Article I have a problem with my hybiscus (Rosa Sinenis),
Pierre Heger <Pierre.Heger at com.mcnet.ch> wrote:
> My newly baught hybiscus is located outdoor (actually 24°C to 30°C) in
> the sun, but leaves are turning yellow.
>
> Am I doing sometihing wrong

Pierre -

I might assume that your newly bought Hibscus in planted in a pot
a bit too small and in soil that is better suited to a greenhouse
than garden (usually a light, spongy, fast draining mix).  If you
tipp it out of the pot when dry, and notice lots of roots, then
the pot is too small.  If the soil is difficult to wet, very light
in weight, and sort of 'springy' to the touch, then it should be
changed to a more substantial mix.

I would suggest planting it in a larger pot (Hibiscus reach tree
size outdoor here in California, so you should provide larger and
large pots as it grows, until you exceed the limits of your window
(if you are growing it indoors over the winter).  Right now, provide
a pot about 1in (2.5 cm) larger on each side.  When you replant,
use a well draining container mix (whatever is suggested by your
local nursery).  Be sure and gently 'tease' the roots on the side of
the current rootball so that other roots may be able to pass through
this barrier.  Slope away the top section of soil so that the
original rootball will be completely buried within the new soil mix,
but that the stem will not be much deeper that perviously planted.
Place a few flat sones on the surface of the soil (within the pot) to
anchor the plant and cool the soil.  Water completely each time you
do (submersing in a bucket of water is efficient) but them let the
soil dry out some before watering again.  Put the plant in some
bright, cool, shade after replanting, for a few days, then introduce
slowly back into the full sun.  Feed with a flowering balance ferti-
lizer (N-P-K - make sure the 'N' is not ecessively larger than the
'P' & 'K').  While these plant love good sun and heat, they prefer to
have cooler roots when in a pot, so avoid placing the pot on a hot
surface where it'll dry out sooner.

Hope this helps!

 Sean A. O'Hara                     sean.ohara at ucop.edu
 710 Jean Street                    http://www.dla.ucop.edu/~sao
 Oakland, California  94610-1459    h o r t u l u s   a p t u s
 (510) 987-0577                     'a garden suited to its purpose'