Seedless grapes

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Jun 10 10:35:41 EST 1997

Roger Wallsgrove wrote:

> Much simpler than you might think!  The flowers are sprayed with
> the appropriate plant homone to induce fruit set in the absence of
> fertilisation.  No fertilisation = no seeds.
>
> Roger Wallsgrove

I don't think it's quite as simple as that, Roger. I believe most
seedless grapes come from specific varieties in which the zygote or
embryo aborts early in berry development (stenocarpy). There may be
other varieties in which the berry starts to develop in the absence of
fertilization (pathenocarpy). As the berry appears to depend on
gibberellins produced by the seed to achieve its normal size, the
seedless varieties have to be sprayed with gibberellin (usually GA3
obtained from the fungus, Gibberella fujikoroi).

Andy

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/molbiol.html