springtails

chris.papineau at hortus.bc.ca chris.papineau at hortus.bc.ca
Fri Jun 13 03:16:00 EST 1997

I'm looking for information about the springtails - order collembola, I
don't know what species. There are an awful lot of them in the last batch of
potting soil I bought - which unfortunately I only noticed AFTER repotting a
whole bunch of plants in it. They don't seem to be doing the plants much
harm so far, but I'd like to know what their potential for damage is, what
they're eating - roots or fungus or what? And how to get rid of them,
quietly and not too toxically? Hope you can help out.