Liquidambar cracking driveway

David Brown brownBI at OA.PTLOMA.EDU
Sat Jun 14 23:04:20 EST 1997

Does anyone in plantbio-land have a good (proven?) way to prevent sweet-gum
tree roots from growing under a walkway or driveway. I seem to remember
that fiber reinforced rubber matting buried 18 inches will block the roots.
Any help that has really worked would be much appreciated.

Local nurserymen tell me cut it down. Of course they will do this for
$xxxx.xx. I have cut out several roots over the years but they have grown
faster than I have cut them so I'm into about $3000 in walkway/driveway
repair.

Help me save this really nice tree.