Tree vs Fruit , identification

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Jun 18 11:56:42 EST 1997

In article <01bc79f9$1b25a200$92f9edcd at florentl>,
Florent Lemieux <flolemi at login.net> wrote:
>A friend give me a tree's fruit.We try to identify it but....we are not
>sure. It may be an hickory (CARYA sp.) I took some pictures and I scan
>them. If you want to help me I can send you by email. I will like to know
>where I can find those trees in the north-east of United States because I
>live in Québec Canada near border's lines.

There are about a half dozen species of hickory (Carya) native to Ontario.
Two of them, the 'shellbark' and the 'shagbark' hickory have a much wider
range than the others and can occasionally be found even in eastern Ontario.
I'm sorry that I can't remember the species names of these trees, but there
is a book called something like 'The Forest Trees of Ontario' published by
the provincial government, that describes them in detail, with pictures of
the nuts.

There are also domesticated hickory trees that are sold by nurseries.  I
think Windmill Point Nursery in Quebec sells them.  So the nuts may originate
from a domesticated tree.

If your question is really "what do Carya spp fruits and seeds look like",
one answer is that pecans are in Carya.  Hickory nuts resemble pecans except
the nuts are smaller and rounder and usually come to a point at the bottom.
The shells are usually a light brown color.  Carya is close to Juglans, the
walnuts.  Black walnuts and butternuts can probably be found in your area.
The butternuts are certainly native.  The husks of walnuts and hickory nuts
are somewhat similar.  The shells of black walnuts and butternuts are very
thick and woody, and they are very rough and deeply fissured on the outside.
Carya shells are thin and smooth.

I hope this helps.  I'm not a botanist!