Need help on farbaceae germination

Jose Luis Silva usfmc6bt at ibmmail.com
Fri Jun 20 07:56:35 EST 1997

Þ Some experiments were done on the germination, with special care to
the following points (factors):
	- Temperature (20-25 ºC; 25-30ºC;  alternation of temp.20-25ºC
10 hours/16-17ºC 14 hours).
	- daylight e darkness
	- Margas environment / "sterilized environment" (Filters)

ÞSpecies subjected to experiments were:

Species "A"
	- Dactylis glomerata subsp.  (Roth) Nyman
	- Brachypodium phoenicoides (L.) Roemer & Schultes
	- Piptaterum miliaceum (L.) Cosson
	- Hyparrenia hirta (L.) Staf

Species "B"
	- Psoralea bituminosa L.
	- Ononis mitissima L.

The experiments results on "A" species were very good; on the contrary,
the experiments results on "B" species were disappointing, with a very
low % of germination, showing the Ononis mitissima L. 0% of germination
in some experiments (even applying for scarification).

ÞIf you know somebody that has already done this experiments (may be
yourself - that would be perfect) on this species, and can help me
understand the behavior of the Psoralea bituminosa L. and Ononis
mitissima L., graminea Hyparrenia hirta (L.) Staf, as the other species
listed above, please reply to this note.

Can you help me clarify this points:

- Is there the need for stratification in the case of "B" species?
- How to produce seeds of "B" species in reasonable quantity?
What technics to use? What system? Others: flower bed size, seed
cleaning, storage, etc?

- How to preserve seeds for periods of 1 to 5 years? And more?

Thanks! :)
Jose Luis Silva (Portugal - Europe)
usfmc6(at)ibmmail.com
PS: I am writing this note to help a friend of mine that conducted the
experiments.