Liquidambar cracking driveway

FaganJohns faganjohns at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 10:13:38 EST 1997

Sorry to say that the local nursery men are right.  I suggest that you
take bids on the cutting job to get the lowest price, and use the savings
to plant another tree that does not grow such extensive roots.  Such
species as bradford pears (they do not produce fruit) would be a good
solution, since they never get that big in the first place, and they are
relatively cheap to get one over 10 ft. tall.  Other species I would
consider would be redbud (Cersis canadensis), any of the dogwoods (Cornus
spp.), japanese maple (Acer japonicus), or any of the leyland cypress
hybrids.  The advantage of these trees is that none get that big in the
first place, so you don't have to worry about roots tearing up the
driveway if you plant them at least 10 ft. away from the driveway.  If you
insist on having a big species, put the tree as far as possible from the
driveway, and just be ready to cut this one down too in the next 10-20
years or so.  Good Luck!