African Milk Cactus

schneck schneck at vnet.net
Sun Jun 22 16:42:35 EST 1997

This may not be the NG I need, but I need help with a 20 year old African
Milk Cactus.  I got her when she was six inches tall...and she is now 4
1/2 feet tall and feels like she weighs over 70 pounds.  I really have no
good place in my house for her...she just barely survives the winters
before I move her outside to a east facing patio, shielded from the North
by an L of our home.  I've just moved her this year, this late, because it
has become very difficult to move her....she is listing badly in her pot
which causes her to lean on me as I drag her outside.  Rather like having
a porcupine the size of an Irish Wolfhound lean on you.

Is it possible to keep this beast outside all winter...I live on the
border of NC/SC, in the Piedmont (Charlotte area).  If it is, can she be
transplanted to our clay soil or should she be kept in her pot.  And how
can I correct her drunken list.  She has a pronounced curve in her main
trunk.  Unless I brace her against a wall, she tips over.  As it is, she
has listed so long that she has exposed the roots on one side.

I am not a "plant" person...but this cactus appeals to me....and I'd hate
to lose her by doing something stupid.

Martha Mohney Schneck