Tetrastigma voinierianum

Bob Kirk reikirk at ksu.edu
Mon Jun 30 23:11:11 EST 1997

>I have been searching in both Sweden and Denmark but I cant find it. So I
>wonder if someone know where to bay it or have some cuttings and I'll be
>grateful.                                         >Susanne in Sweden

   I just saw a dozen (relatively) small plants in hanging baskets in the
atrium of a large local motel in Kansas, USA, and have seen a slide of it
used similarly in Tennessee, USA. The ones here are quite inaccessible
without attracting attention, sorry....
   First time I ever saw this was in the greenhouse of an interior plant
supplier elsewhere in Kansas, and some years later saw three ratty-looking
specimens there, which they told me had been brought back to be rejuvenated
and used again.     Also, while you wouldn't know this, neither Kansas nor
Tennessee is exactly considered a center of exotic-plant cultivation.

   Anyway, what I'm suggesting is that you check with people who supply or
maintain large interiorscapes; even if they don't have this they may have
sources. Or you might be able to find a "used" one like those I saw and
buy it cheaply.
   The reason I didn't do so is 1) They were 250 km away and would have
had to be carried in a covered truck bed in winter - the healthy plants
were both too expensive and too large to haul that way - and 2) The name
"lizard plant", from their apparent habit of dropping entire internodes
(like a lizard its tail) when unhappy with their surroundings. When you
consider that those pieces may be 20-50 cm or more long, with trifoliate
_leaflets_ the size of your head, the gravity of attempting to grow one
will become apparent.
   It is possible, though. They want warmth, humidity, and unflagging
attention, maybe direct sun in northern latitudes. If I recall they are
not terribly hard to propagate, in case you locate a person who sometimes
has to cut one back. I have more information if you want it, but for now,
best of luck in actually getting your hands on one.