Anthocyanins...I need help.

RED714 red714 at aol.com
Tue Mar 4 17:10:41 EST 1997

Hi, my name's Kate, I'm a high school senior (heavily afflicted with
senioritis, I must admit) in search of help with my science fair project.
This is my third phase of it, but I have virtually no resources, and I
don't know a whole lot about this phase.

For the past two years I've been testing the effects of acids and bases on
anthocyanins (namely the one found in African violets,
anthocyanidin-3-rutinoside-
5-glucoside).  Now, I'm going to use a spectrophotometer to graph stuff
about wavelengths and the effects acid and base have on the anthocyanins
in solution.

My problem is that I don't know the specialized name of anthocyanin found
in red cabbage (I'm extending the project this year), and I'm not really
sure what a spectrophotometer does (like a good senior, I'm just following
my teacher's instructions).  How might acid or base affect the wavelengths
of the plant pigment anthocyanin, for I have no clue, and I need a
hypothesis.

If anyone knows anything about this subject, or is just curious (I'm proud
of the work I've been doing, though to all of you it's probably nothing to
scream about), write me at RED714 at aol.com... or, of course, reply here.

Thank you so much for getting this far in my message!! :)