Help needed with "fruit flies"

Mark & Victoria animaux at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 14 08:21:14 EST 1997

In <01bc2bcd$6f759c40$75c196c6 at dragan> "Dragan" <dragan at coredcs.com>
writes:

>We have various green plants in our home, such as spider plants,
ferns,
>rubber plant, etc.   In the past few months there have been a number
of
>"fruit fly" type bugs flying around.  Not swarms, but enough to be
>noticeable and irritaing.  Have been unable to find the source.
>
>Would appreciate any ideas on how to find the source, and get rid of.
>
>Thanks!

These are fungus gnats, and if left alone can and will damage tender
roots of plants.  The larve feed on root hairs and can cause root rot.
I have them and find them quite difficult to get rid of.  I have used
everything from NEEM products, to insecticidal soaps (directly on the
adults), Bt H-14 drench (host specific Bt), I have dried the soil
entirely, changed the soil, used a pyrethrum drench, and tried flailing
my arms around trying to snap them with my hands, like a mental
patient!  You can try some of the methods I used above.  I find these
insects gather around my new seedlings.  Once I move the plants outside
this problem seems to slowly go away.  If anyone knows of an organic,
or should I say, non-synthetic poison method, let us all know.

Victoria