pH in plants

Charles Hesselein chessele at acenet.auburn.edu
Fri Mar 14 16:07:12 EST 1997

In <01bc2bca$53d22380$4062fecc at default> "Jeff" <resqtek at mint.net> writes:

>Hi
>	I'm not a scientist, just a firefighter with an interest in furthering my
>'green thumb'.  My house is a great medium for plant growth.  However,
>lately, I discovered that a recurrent problem in my fish tank was relative
>to the high pH of my well water. (>7.5).  Would someone with the
>appropriate knowledge ( and willingness to share it) explain the effects
>this may have on watering my plants?  I understand acid/base balance as it
>applies to homeostasis in humans.  I would appreciate any help....

>Thanks....

I can't claim to be an expert in soil chemistry dynamics but I let you
know what I know second hand. Thanks to the buffering capacity of your
soil or potting media the pH of you water in itself is not a problem if
the alkalinity of that water is low.  Alkalinity of water refers to its
buffering capacity.  So if your water alkalinity is low the buffering
capacity of your potting media and the acidity of the fertilizer you use
should neutralize any effect the pH of your water may have.

Chazz

*    Charles P. (Chazz) Hesselein         *
*    Extension Horticulturist, ACES       *
*    chesssele at acesag.auburn.edu          *
*    1-334-342-2366  fax: 1-334-342-1022  *