Question re: Holly

warrren reuschel reusche2 at marshall.edu
Wed Mar 19 17:35:53 EST 1997

As a writer, I'd say find some holly flowering and smell it.
        If you find any smell whatsoever, it would be faint.  Our native
evergreen holly, Ilex opaca, has very little smell and the flowers are a
small and green.  Deciduous members of this genus, however, generally have
more brightly colored flowers and more fragrance, but are unsimilar in
appearance to Ilex opaca in that the leaves lack the conspicuous cuticle and
spined teeth.  They also have varying fruit colors, from green to shades of
red and orange.

Warren Reuschel
<reusche2 at marshall.edu>
<http://webpages.marshall.edu/~reusche2/>