Pear tree seeds

Fri Nov 7 08:52:47 EST 1997

At 6:46 PM -0500 11/5/97, Dan Danilowicz wrote:
>What would be the best way to get a tree growing from the seeds I found
>in the core of a pear I ate today?
>Okay, I know, the seeds go into dirt and I add water.
>Is it really that simple?
>I live in Detroit, and winter's almost here, so I'll have to try to get
>'em started indoors this winter and transplant them in the spring,
>I hate to sound so dumb about something this basic, but I'd like to do
>this as sort of a science project for my kids, and I'd like to find out
>the best way to handle it.

This sounds like a good process to me.  The seeds may
need a cold-treatment before they germinate.  Maybe
plant some in moist soil, place in the refrigerator
for four weeks (keeping them moist!), then move them
out into the warmth.  Good Luck!

Ross Koning                 | koning at
Biology Department          |
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479