Too mach water in soil

Karsten Meyer meyek002 at mail.uni-mainz.de
Fri Nov 21 03:16:36 EST 1997

In article <VA.000001bd.001816eb at hostname.not.set.up>,
rgw at office-futures.com wrote:

> > > If I have a cutting of a plant inside a cup of water for a long period, it
> > > starts to develop roots, but if I have the same cutting in a very
wet soil,
> > > it starts to go rotten.
> > > Why this difference?
>
> Might have something to do with the huge number of micro-organisms in soil
> compared to the relative sterility of water.

Maybe that is the answer. Too much water prevents the roots from breathing
(uptake of oxygen). If there are many microorganisms, they breathe, too,
and the oxygen level is decreasing while at the same time the
carbondioxide level is increasing. In pure water there is no increase in
carbondioxide, so the oxygen content may be sufficient for root growth.
But I am very interested if someone can provide the real answer.

Regards,
Karsten

--
Karsten Meyer
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Mainz