Question on Aporphines

Michel Pfeffer lsmi at chimie.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Nov 25 00:07:20 EST 1997

I am working on a group of alkaloids usually found in tropical plants,
the Aporphines. They are dibenzo[de,g]quinoline and some of them have
show interesting therapeutic properties, the worst known is probably the
apomorphine, a non natural one, used in Parkinsonism therapy as a L-Dopa
agonist. Does anyone know where is the name "aporphine" coming from?
Does it have any relation with morphine, the parent compound from which
apomorphine is derived? I know that there are many papers dealing with
this subject, especially Shamma has written a lot in the area. I read
them carefully but none of them provided me the answer, so help!!!!
Many thanks in advance, please answer to aegies at chimie.u-strasbg.fr
Annelise