Aspartame Research

Gene Newcomb newcombg at bcc.orst.edu
Fri Oct 3 09:11:03 EST 1997

I doubt that you will find any reports comparing the effect of these
compounds on plants.  It seems to me that you are trying to set up a
comparison between non-comparable compounds.  Glucose is a natural
product of plant metabolism and a carbohydrate while aspartame is a
synthetic sweetener and a short chain of amino acids, the basic units of
proteins.  The fact that both taste sweet is of no significance to
plants.  I hope you will think long and hard about the value of this
proposed experiment.

Gene, a retired botanist

In article <971002200333_-1563920625 at emout15.mail.aol.com>, KDWDC at aol.com
says...

>I am a ninth-grade student preparing an experiment on the effects of
>aspartame on plant life compared to the effect of glucose.  Does anyone
have
>any suggestions on a good plant form to use for the comparative study or
any
>information or sources of information on the comparative effects of
aspartame
>versus glucoe that would help me avoid an unproductive exepriment.
Thank