dogwood blight in GA

Bruce M. Marshall bmm1 at
Thu Oct 2 11:33:18 EST 1997

Kenny Dunivan (KDunivan at wrote:
: Tennessee is having a similiar probelm with
: the dogwood.  I thought it was a blue mold.
: It looks like a mold and the leaves on most
: Dogwoods I see are curled under.  None in
: this area are doing too well, I am the north
: eastern part of Tennessee.  I was told by
: a couple of people that it could possbly be
: a blue mold from Virginia that was carried
: on a wind that does not normally come this
: way. I do not know this for fact and am quite
: unaware of the real probelm.  Just thought I
: would add that we, in Tennessee, are having
: similiar probelms.

The "dogwood blight" is a fungus Discula sp. Search on "dogwood
anthracnose" for more information. It is agrevated by cool wet
springs. It can eventually kill the tree but I think it more apt to
just make them ugly. I am outside of Knoxville TN and infection here
was on most trees this year. Trees can be sprayed with funguside but
this is probably not practical.

Bruce M. Marshall bmm1 at voice 423 927 0990 fax 423 927 8039