Palownia Trees

Sean A. O'Hara saouc at uccmvsa.ucop.edu
Tue Oct 7 15:51:32 EST 1997

In Article Palownia Trees,
ortho at voicenet.com wrote:
> I am interested in knowing more information about Palownia trees, main
> uses of their bark and wood, and the approximate value to these trees.
> I have some that I need to sell, and am looking for anyone who has any
> info about them.  I have approx. 40 or so of them on my property.
> please respond via email thank you.
>
> GMO
> ortho at voicenet.com

In China, these are know as 'Empress Trees'.  The tradition was that
a tree was planted at the birth of a daughter.  When she grew up and
was getting married, the tree was cut down to fashion a sort of 'hope
chest' for the young bride.  Mature trees in the landscape were a
signal to matchmakers that a potential 'client' was available.

I don't know the economic value of these trees, but perhaps this
sentimental value might yeild more to the right group of people.

 Sean A. O'Hara                     sean.ohara at ucop.edu
 710 Jean Street                    (510) 987-0577
 Oakland, California 94610-1459     h o r t u l u s   a p t u s
 U.S.A.                             'a garden suited to its purpose'