What plant is it?-its an Alocasia...or is it?

Sean A. O'Hara saouc at uccmvsa.ucop.edu
Wed Oct 8 13:48:42 EST 1997

Hi David -

I'm very curious about Colocasia gigantea - I can find it mentioned
on the AROID-L group but without any description.

I am certainly one to agree that these plants are very hard to figure
out - many of them can only be truely id'ed when in flower, and even
then. . .  I no longer have Juan's photo (perhaps Juan can resend it
to me directly - to my <sao at dla.ucop.edu> account which can handle
attached graphics files?), but I recall distinctly the 'sinus' of
the leaf (I hope I am using this term correctly).  This is the area
at which the leaf attaches to the stem - in Jaun's photo, I recall
that there was a slight 'web' span between the two anterior lobes,
creating a 'peltate' attachment though the leaf was otherwise the
same as all of these 'elephant ear' types of aroids.  This area is
often one of the best was to identify species.  I have a plant
sitting in front of me now, from a knowledgeable AROID-L person who
lives not far from me here in California.  It is Alocasia gageana, and
it appears to be identical to what I recall about Juan's plant.  I can
verify this if he'll resend that photo.  I don't really know what the
real distinction between Alocasia and Colocasia is - perhaps it is
primarily in the flower structures (which we don't have).

Anyhow - not really arguing - I just can resist trying to figure these
things out.

 Sean A. O'Hara                     sean.ohara at ucop.edu
 710 Jean Street                    (510) 987-0577
 Oakland, California 94610-1459     h o r t u l u s   a p t u s
 U.S.A.                             'a garden suited to its purpose'
 Ask me about the worldwide Mediterannean gardening discussion group