What is the optimal wavelength of light for growing plants (cacti indoors in a northern illinois climate)?

ken goken at basec.net
Tue Oct 14 05:47:14 EST 1997

Scott wrote:

> I am trying to accelerate the growth of my baby cacti by increasing their
> light exposure with fluorescent lamps.  I am wondering what would the
> optimal wavelength for promoting growth (i.e. photosynthesis).   My
> question, in part, stems from interest in growth lamps.
>
> I have seen inexpensive (<$10) incandescent "plant lamps".  However,
> fluorescent lamps produce 4x visible light than their incandescent
> counterparts.  BTW, I don't want to use fluorescent plant lamps because I
> do not want to use special fixtures.  Modern compact fluorescent lamps
> work quite well.
>
> Pivotal question:
>
> Which is better for growing cacti: incandescent plant lamps or compact
> fluorescent lamps?
>
> Scott
>
> --
> REMOVE "XSPM" before the @ to reply via email
>
> ShopChicago
> http://www.ShopChicago.com
> http://www.ChicagoRealty.com
> http://www.Chicago-Jobs.com
>
> 312-397-1500

Scott,
	 The trouble with incandescent gro-lights is they start with a
lower lumen per watt rating (just becasue they are incandescent) and
then they use subtractive filtering to get a daylight lamp.  This
lowers the efficiency even more.  However, as you say, they do not
require auxilary equipment.
	I don't know the particulars (like sd curves, etc.), but SoLux
halogen/incandescent lamps offers several selections of daylight lamps.
Check out their webpage, and happy gardening :)	Ken	goken at basec.net