A bit of help?

Conrad Richter conrad at richters.com
Wed Oct 15 22:15:00 EST 1997

bae at cs.toronto.edu (Beverly Erlebacher) writes:

> In article <622ik3$mim at omnifest.uwm.edu>,
> Paul Hartman <hartman at omnifest.uwm.edu> wrote:
> >        Recently I aquired a Mexican herbal and several of the entries had n
> >scientific name. If anyone knows these, please advise: 1. hueso de jibia, 2.
> >chapulines sin alas or saltamontes, 3. agrotano macho, 4. musgo, 5.
> >floripondio, 6. tepozan.
>
> I think floripondio usually refers to one of the Daturas (now Brugmansia)
> with pendent white flowers and a heavy scent.

Yes, floripondio is Datura arborea which is now placed in the genus
Brugmansia.

Tepozan is Bubleia americana.  The leaves and roots are used.  Leaves are
cooked and applied to wounds, for which their antiseptic properties are
beneficial.  The roots are hypnotic and sedative, and is recommended
for insomnia, especially the kind that happens when one is overtired.
The roots also have analgesic and diuretic properties.

My little Mexican library has nothing on the others.

Conrad Richter
RICHTERS

* * * *    Attend Richters 2nd Commercial Herb Growing Conference!   * * * *
* * * *    Visit Richters Website for More Info: www.richters.com    * * * *
RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 info at richters.com
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  catalog at richters.com
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | Website:               www.richters.com