Cassia and henna

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 23 17:30:55 EST 1997

My source (Mabberley) lists henna as being derived from Lawsonia
inermis--Lythraceae, and Cassia didymobotrya as a green manure in Asia.  (C.
tora is listed as a mordant for blue dye in India.....)Lagerstroemia species
are listed for wood uses and flowers (crape myrtle).

There!  I've muddied the issue even more!

M. Reed
Texas A&M

>Does anyone here know
exactly what the Arabian dye called henna has to do with>the plant genus
Cassia, perhaps C.didymobotrya? I know that Lagerstroemia is a>source for this
dye, but a species of Cassia also comes in somewhere... (I have>heared the
bell, but don't know where the clapper hangs out :-)