Cassia and henna

Geeta Bharathan geeta at life.cc.sunysb.edu
Fri Oct 24 10:05:27 EST 1997

Monique Reed (monique at bio.tamu.edu) wrote:
: My source (Mabberley) lists henna as being derived from Lawsonia
: inermis--Lythraceae, and Cassia didymobotrya as a green manure in Asia.

: >Does anyone here know
: exactly what the Arabian dye called henna has to do with>the plant genus
: Cassia, perhaps C.didymobotrya? I know that Lagerstroemia is a>source for this
: dye, but a species of Cassia also comes in somewhere...

How about Acacia catechu? In India catechu, may be ground with henna for
application on hands & feet; I'm not sure whether it goes into the mix
that is used to dye hair.

--Geeta