Native seeds from the tropics

Doug Yanega My_real_address_below at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 24 08:00:33 EST 1997

In article <344DD125.2A0E at ix.netcom.com>, gondwana at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Doug Yanega wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > Are you interested in being prosecuted by the USDA?? Maybe you could
> > enlighten us all as to the permits you have obtained to allow you to make
> > such shipments.
> >
> > Doug Yanega    (dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br)
>
> Dear Dr. Yanega,
>
> I'm not sure what your basis for objection is, but many companies engage
> in the international commerce of seeds with the US. Provided that they
> procure the necessary phytosanitary (and if necesary, CITES) permits,
> and provided the purchaser can secure the necessary permits, this
> commerce is permissible.

I know. Your point?

> I saw nothing in his post (other than the fact it was an advertisment)
> to object to, in the sense that there was no indication in the post, per
> se, that suggested that the activity was being done without permits.

There was likewise no indication that there ARE permits, and so I asked if
they had them.

> Granted that non-permited trade (and any other contraband activity)
> would be objectionable...but I didn't see anything in the post to
> indicate this was the case here.
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> David Deutsch

You missed any evidence that the proposed sale of material was legal.
Seems pretty simple to me. Without such evidence, NO ONE should do
business with such an individual. I can't imagine what *your* objection is
to asking people engaged in potentially illegal trade to demonstrate that
they are operating legally.

Doug Yanega    (dyanega AT mono dot icb dot ufmg dot br)
Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486
30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-448-1223, fax: 031-44-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
            http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/
"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is
    the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick