Problems growing feverfew

Conrad Richter conrad at richters.com
Mon Oct 27 21:26:20 EST 1997

AC <alanchal at netcomuk.co.uk> writes:

> Timothy & Gabrielle Taylor wrote:
> >
> > This is my first posting to this newsgroup - I hope my topic is
> > appropriate.
> >
> > For the second year in a row, I have brought my potted feverfew plant
> > indoors for the winter (New Jersey) and it is once again dying.  It is
> > still getting strong southern exposure.  Can anyone suggest what might
> > be going wrong with it?
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> >
> > Gabrielle
> =====
> I am located in North Wales UK but also have lived in N England UK; in
> both places feverfew grows outdoors all-year-round and self-seeds
> without any problem. Sometimes to the extent of being a weed.It might be
> classified as a perennial but is best grown as an annual.
> BTW I assume we are writing about: Tanacetum parthenium?
> --
> Alan Challoner MA(Phil.) MChS
> libran at netcomuk.co.uk

I agree that feverfew is best grown as an annual.  Our research suggests
that physiological age is important: as the plant ages (1+ years) it is
no longer able to produce the active parthenolides in high quantity.
First year plants seem to be much more potent.

Conrad Richter

* * * *    Attend Richters 2nd Commercial Herb Growing Conference!   * * * *
* * * *    Visit Richters Website for More Info: www.richters.com    * * * *
RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 info at richters.com
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  catalog at richters.com
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | Website:               www.richters.com