Phragmites Australis

Dominique Schaller dschalle at sc2a.unige.ch
Tue Sep 2 03:09:20 EST 1997

faganjohns at aol.com (FaganJohns) wrote:

>I suggest caution when planting Phragmites australis.  In the United
>States, it has become a pest species, often completely dominating wet
>sites.
In Europe Phragmites australis is a native plant, no risk of invasion.
I have germinated seeds this spring by surface sowing them in a pot
without hole at the bottom. The medium was maintained canstantly wet.
The germination took one week at 20 °C with light. Now the plants are
25 cm high. The seeds were from Chiltern Seeds. The medium was a
"normal" medium.
Good luck.

Dominique Schaller
Department of Biochemistry