help~~~ some vocabs

Karsten Meyer meyek002 at mail.uni-mainz.de
Mon Sep 8 09:55:47 EST 1997

Hello Shawn,

Basidiomycetes and Ascomycetes are two classes of fungi (mushrooms
etc)(mycos, greek: fungus). The spores of the Ascomycetes are developed in
a tube (ascos, greek: tube), those of the Basidiomycetes are developed
free on a kind of spore-carrier (basis, greek/latin: base).
Commensalism is the interaction between two organisms in which one acts
beneficially on the second but the second organism has no effect on the
first (communis, latin: common; salus, latin: health (I am not sure about
this!)).

Hope that helps,
Karsten

PS: message posted and mailed

--
Karsten Meyer
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Mainz