help~~~ some vocabs

Karsten Meyer meyek002 at
Mon Sep 8 09:55:47 EST 1997

Hello Shawn,

Basidiomycetes and Ascomycetes are two classes of fungi (mushrooms
etc)(mycos, greek: fungus). The spores of the Ascomycetes are developed in
a tube (ascos, greek: tube), those of the Basidiomycetes are developed
free on a kind of spore-carrier (basis, greek/latin: base).
Commensalism is the interaction between two organisms in which one acts
beneficially on the second but the second organism has no effect on the
first (communis, latin: common; salus, latin: health (I am not sure about

Hope that helps,

PS: message posted and mailed

In article <3413A749.740 at>, sjean at wrote:
> I'd appreciate it very much if someone can mail me about the meaning of
> below terms, as well as the meaning of the word roots:
> Basidiomycetes
> Ascomycetes
> Commensalism

Karsten Meyer
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Mainz
55099 Mainz - Germany
Tel: +49 (0)6131-39 25 91, Fax: +49 (0)6131- 39 35 24